Label Cloud

#1000 a new destiny A Training We Will Go About Me about.me Africa Alaska AmitD Baby John Foundation bandicoot Bare Minimum beach Beginner-Chef Bengaluru bike bitter gourd bitter melon bitter squash blizzardofoz blog blossom BunnyB Cats Central America Chathurthi Chennai Civilization composting connections Content Writer content writing cookery cover shot culture curry leaf Daya Death dj dogs dreamy-dreams Dubai eco-friendly ecology Eichhornia crassipes email forward English? environs Eudaimonia Europe Chicago existence extinction Facebook Fiction flora flower food foto-RK freswater fruit fruit tree Funny Business? future-simple Ganesha garden garden gardening gardening gargantuan Google+ grammatically correct guilt health holidays/festivals hopelessly romantic human condition Hyderabad identity idol India Indonesian insect int-Ro-spec-shun interesting? Internet Service Italian ival Jagannath Temple Gate JamminGlobal Jay Kannaiyan John Paul Aguiar Kanyakumari karavella karela Kenya Kerala Kodaikanal Kovalam laddu Lake Nakuru lakes large Lesser bandicoot rat Life life story lily longevity macabre Mahabalipuram Mahe Masai Mara Mentor message Mexico milestone Miscellanea mission mogs Momordica charantia Mountain Lodge movie movie reference mushroom music mutation Nairobi NaNoWriMo National Novel Writing Month nature news-related O1M online online presence Ooty Oroku Saki our world Oxyopes bimanous party pest photography Phuentsholing pink Place of worship Poetry point-and-shoot pomegranate Practice Write profile profile pic Purpose railway station Rain Lily recipe recycling relationships religion/faith RK rodent sapling search engine optimization SEO short story sign social media South America spider Sri Vilas sump Sun-Mar teaching Thalassery The Dark Side The End The Muskoka Foundation Thirupathi Thiruvananthapuram Tirupati Balaji touristy travel Tribute Trivandrum Airport Incident twisted past Twitter vegetable Vinayaka Visarjan Visual Tonality Photography waste water hyacinth water purification water treatment web content World Writing yellow Zodiac

Friday, August 12, 2005

My Speech in front of the School

Oh, and as Kodai incidents go, here was the highlight (one of them anyway, yaar...come on Ammu). Now, there is a bit of background to this, so allow me to lay it all out.

When I was going to school at KIS (Kodaikanal International School....and it's about time I expanded this eh?) there was Elementary School (grades KG-5), Middle School (grades 6-8), and High School (grades 9-12). Now, they've changed that system, and God only knows why. Elementary school is the same, but they have something called MYP or Middle Year Program, and that goes all the way from the 6th to the 10th grades. So, high school is only the 11th and 12th grades. Imitating the Indian school structure methinks. And it's only been changed from this year. (Why...WHY!!! Oh the humanity!!!)

Oh well, so they were having an MYP and High School assembly one of the days we were there (and by 'we' I'm referring to Amrita and 'myself'). So, I met Mr. Lal before assembly; he's now the high school coordinator, but was my math teacher when I was in the 11th and 12th grade. Anyway, he wrote down our names and said he'd mention the fact that there were 'alumni' visiting and all that.

So, there we were at the assembly. And, there were announcements and all that, finally I heard him mentioning Amrita's name and mine. So, I stepped into the auditorium and waved...like the Queen of England does. And all of a sudden I hear, "Rohin, would you like to say a few words?" I thought to myself, "WTF???" But, as blasted as I was, I went up to the front, jogging a little bit because Mr. Lal told me to hurry up. I grabbed the microphone, and began mumbling. (Disclaimer: The following text has been altered slightly due to the author's lack of mental retention ability)

"Well, it's been ages since I've been back, and I see a lot of new faces. I guess it's been that long since I've been back. I'd just like to say that when I'm back in Kodai, I feel like I'm at home. And I hope all of you feel that too. Thank you."

And with that, I left-handed the mic back to Mr. Lal and walked back to the back of the auditorium. There was an applause, but I knew exactly what the students were thinking. It was exactly what I used to think when I was in school and alumni used to come up and do this; "I can't believe this idiot doesn't have a life, and I can't believe they came all the way up here to talk shit." Funny how you get to experience the 'other' side of things...when you least expect it. That was my 15 seconds of fame (shame?) in front of a bunch of kids who wanted to be anywhere but there.

Funny how you grow up and come upon the same lessons and ideas that presented themselves to you earlier in your life, only to accept them now and make sense of them. An interesting time in my life, this. A career in politics? I hope not!
Post a Comment