Label Cloud

#1000 a new destiny A Training We Will Go About Me about.me Africa Alaska AmitD Baby John Foundation bandicoot Bare Minimum beach Beginner-Chef Bengaluru bike bitter gourd bitter melon bitter squash blizzardofoz blog blossom BunnyB Cats Central America Chathurthi Chennai Civilization composting connections Content Writer content writing cookery cover shot culture curry leaf Daya Death dj dogs dreamy-dreams Dubai eco-friendly ecology Eichhornia crassipes email forward English? environs Eudaimonia Europe Chicago existence extinction Facebook Fiction flora flower food foto-RK freswater fruit fruit tree Funny Business? future-simple Ganesha garden garden gardening gardening gargantuan Google+ grammatically correct guilt health holidays/festivals hopelessly romantic human condition Hyderabad identity idol India Indonesian insect int-Ro-spec-shun interesting? Internet Service Italian ival Jagannath Temple Gate JamminGlobal Jay Kannaiyan John Paul Aguiar Kanyakumari karavella karela Kenya Kerala Kodaikanal Kovalam laddu Lake Nakuru lakes large Lesser bandicoot rat Life life story lily longevity macabre Mahabalipuram Mahe Masai Mara Mentor message Mexico milestone Miscellanea mission mogs Momordica charantia Mountain Lodge movie movie reference mushroom music mutation Nairobi NaNoWriMo National Novel Writing Month nature news-related O1M online online presence Ooty our world Oxyopes bimanous party pest photography Phuentsholing pink Place of worship Poetry point-and-shoot pomegranate Practice Write profile profile pic Purpose railway station Rain Lily recipe recycling relationships religion/faith RK rodent sapling search engine optimization SEO short story sign social media South America spider Sri Vilas sump Sun-Mar teaching Thalassery The Dark Side The End The Muskoka Foundation Thirupathi Thiruvananthapuram Tirupati Balaji touristy travel Tribute Trivandrum Airport Incident twisted past Twitter vegetable Vinayaka Visarjan Visual Tonality Photography waste water hyacinth water purification water treatment web content World Writing yellow Zodiac

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Of Autowallahs and Madmen!

So, there I was, taking it easy in the morning as I usually do. I was walking towards the auto stand, when I noticed one of the autorickshaws coming towards me. I asked him if he would take me to Shivajinagar, where I work, and he motioned to me to enter his vehicle. Everything was going well, and it was a great day overall. I was going to get to work on time, and things were about as routine as they could ever have been.

So, at one of the many traffic signals that we find ourselves waiting at, he decides to avoid the massive jam ahead and go via an alternate route. No worries, I mean, I know why he's doing it, so I let him. We're going along nicely, when all of a sudden I notice someone trying to cut from the right of us. He's doing a terrible job of it, like moseying right into view and disrupting the flow of traffic somewhat. The auto driver sees him too, and he gestures to him with one of those "Aye, what are you doing" expressions. After doing this, he cuts right in front of the vehicle. And then, we find ourselves on the alternate route to work. But wait, this is when things decided to get interesting.

I hear some heavy honking, and the next thing I know the man we just passed, an elderly man, with quite a furious temper apparently, is trying to cut us off and is shouting at the auto driver. He wants to go to the police station. And the auto driver is trying to avoid him...rightly so I think, because I'm trying to get to work. However, the chase continues for a good 10-15 minutes, and finally, after nearly exhausting his dictionary of obcenities, and with the auto driver willing to apologize...not to mention me trying to tell him that I'm trying to get to work, he gives me a, "Don't encourage these bastards," and then we leave. And he decides to leave us alone. During the chase I ended up revisiting several old spots that I used to frequent like Oz's apartment in Victoria Layout and surrounding areas. Hahaha. What a way to start the day, eh?

But I realized something. There are people out there who would go out of their way to ensure that justice, as they saw it, was served...or meted out, even. I can't believe he was willing to give chase for that long. I mean, was he on his way to work? Or was he just out to buy a loaf of bread and decided he could spare the time to come after this auto guy? What was he thinking? Was he even thinking? It's like, if you buy a car and then you find that there's a scratch on it and you know who did it...what would you do? How far would you be willing to go before you're satisfied with the reparations? Would the person have to pay AND apologize? Is anger overrated? Wow! It takes all sorts to make the world go round. And how!
Post a Comment