Label Cloud

#1000 a new destiny A Training We Will Go About Me about.me Africa Alaska AmitD Baby John Foundation bandicoot Bare Minimum beach Beginner-Chef Bengaluru bike bitter gourd bitter melon bitter squash blizzardofoz blog blossom BunnyB Cats Central America Chathurthi Chennai Civilization composting connections Content Writer content writing cookery cover shot culture curry leaf Daya Death dj dogs dreamy-dreams Dubai eco-friendly ecology Eichhornia crassipes email forward English? environs Eudaimonia Europe Chicago existence extinction Facebook Fiction flora flower food foto-RK freswater fruit fruit tree Funny Business? future-simple Ganesha garden garden gardening gardening gargantuan Google+ grammatically correct guilt health holidays/festivals hopelessly romantic human condition Hyderabad identity idol India Indonesian insect int-Ro-spec-shun interesting? Internet Service Italian ival Jagannath Temple Gate JamminGlobal Jay Kannaiyan John Paul Aguiar Kanyakumari karavella karela Kenya Kerala Kodaikanal Kovalam laddu Lake Nakuru lakes large Lesser bandicoot rat Life life story lily longevity macabre Mahabalipuram Mahe Masai Mara Mentor message Mexico milestone Miscellanea mission mogs Momordica charantia Mountain Lodge movie movie reference mushroom music mutation Nairobi NaNoWriMo National Novel Writing Month nature news-related O1M online online presence Ooty our world Oxyopes bimanous party pest photography Phuentsholing pink Place of worship Poetry point-and-shoot pomegranate Practice Write profile profile pic Purpose railway station Rain Lily recipe recycling relationships religion/faith RK rodent sapling search engine optimization SEO short story sign social media South America spider Sri Vilas sump Sun-Mar teaching Thalassery The Dark Side The End The Muskoka Foundation Thirupathi Thiruvananthapuram Tirupati Balaji touristy travel Tribute Trivandrum Airport Incident twisted past Twitter vegetable Vinayaka Visarjan Visual Tonality Photography waste water hyacinth water purification water treatment web content World Writing yellow Zodiac

Friday, December 02, 2005

A Job Offer

Here's an incident that began last week, and it's still kind of going on. Well, when you post your resume on some site somewhere you're bound to be contacted by all sorts of people, and it's almost axiomatic that in a similar situation one would find the same things happening. So, there I was at the end of last week, when all of a sudden I got a call from a person who opened the call in a very 'chilled out', you-ol'-sonfoagun-you manner. He said that he'd gotten my number from a friend. When I asked him who, he said he didn't remember. Mistake #1. Now, it is a common ploy by recruiters to try and make the person feel that things are very casual, so that they will carry on the conversation. But like I said, Mistake #1. Anyway, I was curious so I played along. He said he wanted to meet me, and I said alright. Then he said he wanted to meet at either my place or his place. Mistake #2. I said hell no, with regard to my place. I didn't even address the fact that he'd 'offered' for us to meet at his place. So, I did the smart thing and suggested that we meet at one of the many Cafe Coffee Days or Baristas that are sprinkled across the length and breadth of this city. Even if not that, at least a restaurant, over some lunch. That to me, would have been a very 'casual' thing to do. But he 'bettered' my suggestion by saying that I could go and see what he was doing at the Baldwin Boys High School; they were doing some presentation there. Actually, I was pretty sure that he said 'exhibition'. Mistake #3? I mean, I wasn't sure, but it didn't sound like something I wanted to do...exhibiting...and what? That's the other thing he failed to say, what the job was, and what it entailed. Mistake #4.

So, in my head, I was pretty sure I wouldn't go. And I didn't. However, a couple of hours before this 'exhibition' was supposed to begin I got an SMS from "our man", confirming our meeting for that evening. Being the quick thinker that I usually am, I replied saying that "something had come up" and if he didn't mind we could meet over lunch at Casa Piccola's on Residency Rd. for lunch...at 1pm. I also asked him to let me know if that worked for him. No reply. So, I assumed that he'd given up on me, and that the 'opportunity', as wierd as it was, had passed me by. But no. I got a call from him yesterday. And he said that he'd received my SMS, but that he was still keen on meeting me. So, I said ok, and we went through the whole rigmarole of trying to figure out where. Again, he repeated Mistake #2. The only difference was that he was more insistent about it, and he even tried to use a third option for a suitable location: his friend's place. This, I feel, makes it Mistake #5. And at this point I had to tell him that I couldn't figure out why he was so insistent on meeting at either one of our places, "Because," I said, "It's not like it's a secret or anything, right?" Maybe he didn't hear me, or maybe he just felt the need to come out and give me a reason for not wanting to meet in a more 'public' place. "It's too noisy," was his reason for not wanting to meet in a public place. What? Mistake #6...this guy is just piling them on I tell you! So I said, in the most matter-of-fact way possible, "Well, it's not like conversations don't happen at these places, right? I mean, there's noise because people are talking." Duh? Apparently not. Another one that flew past him, and he didn't even seem to blink.

After a brief pause, he ended with, "Uh, Rohin. Let me just check with my friend to see if we can meet at his place sometime tomorrow. And then I'll call you back in a couple of hours. Is that ok?" Of course it was, and I said so. No no, I kid. I said it was ok, but now there's definitely no way in HELL that I'm going to meet this guy. Oh, he didn't call me back "in a couple of hours"...but something tells me that "our man" will get in touch with me and try and repeat Mistakes #2 and #5 again. This time, I'll be prepared to just say that I'm not interested. But, on the other hand, I must confess that I'm hella curious to go and see what all this is about... But I guess I'd have to go armed with "my .45" or with a friend/bouncer/bodyguard dude. So, how's that, eh? And what if I'm totally mistaken about this person and what he has to say is very much 'on the level'? Well, that's just a chance I'll have to take, right? Comments people...come on.
Post a Comment