Label Cloud

#1000 a new destiny A Training We Will Go About Me about.me Africa Alaska AmitD Baby John Foundation bandicoot Bare Minimum beach Beginner-Chef Bengaluru bike bitter gourd bitter melon bitter squash blizzardofoz blog blossom BunnyB Cats Central America Chathurthi Chennai Civilization composting connections Content Writer content writing cookery cover shot culture curry leaf Daya Death dj dogs dreamy-dreams Dubai eco-friendly ecology Eichhornia crassipes email forward English? environs Eudaimonia Europe Chicago existence extinction Facebook Fiction flora flower food foto-RK freswater fruit fruit tree Funny Business? future-simple Ganesha garden garden gardening gardening gargantuan Google+ grammatically correct guilt health holidays/festivals hopelessly romantic human condition Hyderabad identity idol India Indonesian insect int-Ro-spec-shun interesting? Internet Service Italian ival Jagannath Temple Gate JamminGlobal Jay Kannaiyan John Paul Aguiar Kanyakumari karavella karela Kenya Kerala Kodaikanal Kovalam laddu Lake Nakuru lakes large Lesser bandicoot rat Life life story lily longevity macabre Mahabalipuram Mahe Masai Mara Mentor message Mexico milestone Miscellanea mission mogs Momordica charantia Mountain Lodge movie movie reference mushroom music mutation Nairobi NaNoWriMo National Novel Writing Month nature news-related O1M online online presence Ooty our world Oxyopes bimanous party pest photography Phuentsholing pink Place of worship Poetry point-and-shoot pomegranate Practice Write profile profile pic Purpose railway station Rain Lily recipe recycling relationships religion/faith RK rodent sapling search engine optimization SEO short story sign social media South America spider Sri Vilas sump Sun-Mar teaching Thalassery The Dark Side The End The Muskoka Foundation Thirupathi Thiruvananthapuram Tirupati Balaji touristy travel Tribute Trivandrum Airport Incident twisted past Twitter vegetable Vinayaka Visarjan Visual Tonality Photography waste water hyacinth water purification water treatment web content World Writing yellow Zodiac

Monday, July 24, 2006

Blog Ban = Blanned!

After posting the previous post last week, I decided to come by and check out if anyone had had anything to say, or if there had been any new posting on some of the other blogs. But surprise surprise, or lo and behold, it seems the Indian government had decided to put a ban on blogs...all blogs...!!!

Much like Amit Varma, author of the article "Inept Censorship Won't Work" I came to the Internet cafe on Tuesday morning to find that I couldn't access my blog, or any other blog for that matter. Initially, I suspected that maybe someone had flagged my blog as being a little on the not-for-kids-below-21 side because of the pictographical content of the previous post. But who am I kidding, right? That's just some wannabe-drama-queen talk.

But I couldn't help but wonder what was going on when I found myself in the same situation the next day as well. What in the world was going on here? Was it just me? Were the settings on the computer in this Internet cafe somehow preventing me from accessing any blog?

Well, the answer to that would come to me on Thursday. Yup, while reading the newspaper that morning, I happened to spot, out of the corner of my eye, an article about a ban on blogs. Upon further investigation, I discovered that this is in fact what had happened to it..."it" being trying to access my blog, that is. And that was mildly amusing, to say the least, because I wanted to see what would come of it. I guess I was wondering what would happen, and I was in the mood for some drastic move. I guess I let my imagination run wild when I started imagining some Tianenmen Square type protest somewhere in India that would have been crushed as horribly. I guess I was just being a wannabe-drama-queen waiting for some drama...sniff sniff.

Anyway, we're back, and it's nice to know that some things in the world will go on just as they did before. Not to say this about blogging specifically, but that just seems to be the way most cookies crumble. I guess I should end with a hip-hip-hurrah or something. Whatever...

Glad to be back all the same. Oh, and here are a couple of articles about when the ban first came into effect and how things are now...you know, should you be interested.
Post a Comment