Label Cloud

#1000 a new destiny A Training We Will Go About Me about.me Africa Alaska AmitD Baby John Foundation bandicoot Bare Minimum beach Beginner-Chef Bengaluru bike bitter gourd bitter melon bitter squash blizzardofoz blog blossom BunnyB Cats Central America Chathurthi Chennai Civilization composting connections Content Writer content writing cookery cover shot culture curry leaf Daya Death dj dogs dreamy-dreams Dubai eco-friendly ecology Eichhornia crassipes email forward English? environs Eudaimonia Europe Chicago existence extinction Facebook Fiction flora flower food foto-RK freswater fruit fruit tree Funny Business? future-simple Ganesha garden garden gardening gardening gargantuan Google+ grammatically correct guilt health holidays/festivals hopelessly romantic human condition Hyderabad identity idol India Indonesian insect int-Ro-spec-shun interesting? Internet Service Italian ival Jagannath Temple Gate JamminGlobal Jay Kannaiyan John Paul Aguiar Kanyakumari karavella karela Kenya Kerala Kodaikanal Kovalam laddu Lake Nakuru lakes large Lesser bandicoot rat Life life story lily longevity macabre Mahabalipuram Mahe Masai Mara Mentor message Mexico milestone Miscellanea mission mogs Momordica charantia Mountain Lodge movie movie reference mushroom music mutation Nairobi NaNoWriMo National Novel Writing Month nature news-related O1M online online presence Ooty our world Oxyopes bimanous party pest photography Phuentsholing pink Place of worship Poetry point-and-shoot pomegranate Practice Write profile profile pic Purpose railway station Rain Lily recipe recycling relationships religion/faith RK rodent sapling search engine optimization SEO short story sign social media South America spider Sri Vilas sump Sun-Mar teaching Thalassery The Dark Side The End The Muskoka Foundation Thirupathi Thiruvananthapuram Tirupati Balaji touristy travel Tribute Trivandrum Airport Incident twisted past Twitter vegetable Vinayaka Visarjan Visual Tonality Photography waste water hyacinth water purification water treatment web content World Writing yellow Zodiac

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Speaking of language...

*Disclaimer: You must be 21 years or older to read this post. Some of the material contained here may offend those of you who are sensitive to “bad language”. Should you choose to continue reading and find yourself covering your ears in sheer horror and disbelief, then I don’t think you should be reading this in the first place.

Here’s a little something that I came across a few months ago. Now, before I proceed to tell you what I’m going to tell you, I want you to promise me that you will not get upset and fault me for not having told you sooner. This amazing thing, if I’ve managed to hype it this up enough, is a book. Just a book? No, a fan-fucking-tastic book titled “English as a Second F*cking Language”. The author is Sterling Johnson, and according to him, there’s a committee who was responsible in deciding what made it to the book and what didn’t.

What do I think of this book? Fucking brilliant! I remember carrying it on the plane with me once, and I laughed my ass off! I mean, it’s a well written book, and I happen to enjoy good writing that doesn’t take things too seriously. Unfortunately, I don’t think my neighbors shared that view because at any opportunity, they would scoff at me. And not under their breath either!

As it turns out, Sterling Johnson has written another book that I would definitely like to get my hands on as soon as possible: Watch Your F*cking Language. Promises to be a good read after the success of his first one. And, if you’re wondering why I’m telling you about this, well, I’m doing it because I love the way this book is written. As one person comments, “One of those rare smart and funny books.”

Well, if you ever get to look at English as a Second F*cking Language, please let me know what you think. Oh, and for those of you who have already read the second one, go ahead and let me know what you think about it too.
Post a Comment