Label Cloud

#1000 a new destiny A Training We Will Go About Me about.me Africa Alaska AmitD Baby John Foundation bandicoot Bare Minimum beach Beginner-Chef Bengaluru bike bitter gourd bitter melon bitter squash blizzardofoz blog blossom BunnyB Cats Central America Chathurthi Chennai Civilization composting connections Content Writer content writing cookery cover shot culture curry leaf Daya Death dj dogs dreamy-dreams Dubai eco-friendly ecology Eichhornia crassipes email forward English? environs Eudaimonia Europe Chicago existence extinction Facebook Fiction flora flower food foto-RK freswater fruit fruit tree Funny Business? future-simple Ganesha garden garden gardening gardening gargantuan Google+ grammatically correct guilt health holidays/festivals hopelessly romantic human condition Hyderabad identity idol India Indonesian insect int-Ro-spec-shun interesting? Internet Service Italian ival Jagannath Temple Gate JamminGlobal Jay Kannaiyan John Paul Aguiar Kanyakumari karavella karela Kenya Kerala Kodaikanal Kovalam laddu Lake Nakuru lakes large Lesser bandicoot rat Life life story lily longevity macabre Mahabalipuram Mahe Masai Mara Mentor message Mexico milestone Miscellanea mission mogs Momordica charantia Mountain Lodge movie movie reference mushroom music mutation Nairobi NaNoWriMo National Novel Writing Month nature news-related O1M online online presence Ooty our world Oxyopes bimanous party pest photography Phuentsholing pink Place of worship Poetry point-and-shoot pomegranate Practice Write profile profile pic Purpose railway station Rain Lily recipe recycling relationships religion/faith RK rodent sapling search engine optimization SEO short story sign social media South America spider Sri Vilas sump Sun-Mar teaching Thalassery The Dark Side The End The Muskoka Foundation Thirupathi Thiruvananthapuram Tirupati Balaji touristy travel Tribute Trivandrum Airport Incident twisted past Twitter vegetable Vinayaka Visarjan Visual Tonality Photography waste water hyacinth water purification water treatment web content World Writing yellow Zodiac

Friday, March 14, 2008

Temple fugitive


Hiding while I pray,
Eyes darting here and there,
Watching my every action,
I whisper to my god.

Do I go around like this?
Do I have to do it again?
What do I do now?
And must I really tip the priest?

Some smoke and fire.
Offerings of milk and flowers.
Worshipping a sacred idol.
Believing in a painless what's-meant-to-be.

Never sure which way to turn,
Not sure about the holy ash,
Looks like people come here to mingle.
But I am here on business.

I first thank my god,
Omnipotent provider that he is,
For he welcomes all with open arms;
Loving father, divine protector.

Then, I ask that he do his job,
And give me what is rightfully mine.
Millions ask for the World on a platter.
But only true devotion will help me jump the line.

And I close my eyes to pray,
Picturing things I'd like to own.
Flashy cars, wads of cash,
Recognition, fame, being well-known.

Fever-pitched chanting,
Of verses from ancient texts.
Strange harmony, ever-changing rhythm.
The act of worship in all its glory.

I imagine my god looking down,
At me, at us, at them.
Wondering why, wondering how.
A soulless catastrophe called man.

But now, we must hurry,
For the ceremony has ended.
We partake of the holy sweet,
And mark ourselves with sandalwood paste.

We leave without turning
Our backs to our deity.
We retrieve, with humility,
Our footwear at the entrance.

Confused. Not sure how to feel.
Ambiguous spirituality is this.
Faith, not mere ritual enactment.
This is why I sought solace.

I like to speak to my god.
Talk to him from my heart.
Share a joke, my troubles.
Ask him what I'm doing here. What?

And when I look around me,
I see people just like me.
But don't they wonder why?
Don't they truly see?

Faith can move mountains,
Stop wars, make brothers and sisters of us all.
But that is myth enough.
Not ready to believe in a divine ideal.

We created the stories
Of gods, mortals and demons.
Palaces in the skies above,
Showering curses and then blessings.

Here on Earth though,
We sway to a different tune,
Where penniless peasantry
Offer up their lives to wealthy, holy men.

And we quarrel with each other,
About whose god is better.
Killing in the name of love.
God's love for all creation.

In my corner, I pray in secret.
Closing my eyes, I hope.
That it'll all make sense,
To me. To us. To them.

Post a Comment