Label Cloud

#1000 a new destiny A Training We Will Go About Me about.me Africa Alaska AmitD Baby John Foundation bandicoot Bare Minimum beach Beginner-Chef Bengaluru bike bitter gourd bitter melon bitter squash blizzardofoz blog blossom BunnyB Cats Central America Chathurthi Chennai Civilization composting connections Content Writer content writing cookery cover shot culture curry leaf Daya Death dj dogs dreamy-dreams Dubai eco-friendly ecology Eichhornia crassipes email forward English? environs Eudaimonia Europe Chicago existence extinction Facebook Fiction flora flower food foto-RK freswater fruit fruit tree Funny Business? future-simple Ganesha garden garden gardening gardening gargantuan Google+ grammatically correct guilt health holidays/festivals hopelessly romantic human condition Hyderabad identity idol India Indonesian insect int-Ro-spec-shun interesting? Internet Service Italian ival Jagannath Temple Gate JamminGlobal Jay Kannaiyan John Paul Aguiar Kanyakumari karavella karela Kenya Kerala Kodaikanal Kovalam laddu Lake Nakuru lakes large Lesser bandicoot rat Life life story lily longevity macabre Mahabalipuram Mahe Masai Mara Mentor message Mexico milestone Miscellanea mission mogs Momordica charantia Mountain Lodge movie movie reference mushroom music mutation Nairobi NaNoWriMo National Novel Writing Month nature news-related O1M online online presence Ooty Oroku Saki our world Oxyopes bimanous party pest photography Phuentsholing pink Place of worship Poetry point-and-shoot pomegranate Practice Write profile profile pic Purpose railway station Rain Lily recipe recycling relationships religion/faith RK rodent sapling search engine optimization SEO short story sign social media South America spider Sri Vilas sump Sun-Mar teaching Thalassery The Dark Side The End The Muskoka Foundation Thirupathi Thiruvananthapuram Tirupati Balaji touristy travel Tribute Trivandrum Airport Incident twisted past Twitter vegetable Vinayaka Visarjan Visual Tonality Photography waste water hyacinth water purification water treatment web content World Writing yellow Zodiac

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

You got beef?


All of a sudden, I felt the urge to indulge myself. My stomach seemed to agree with my brain. "Go big!" they said. So, Daya and I went to Yoko Sizzlers, as you can see from the picture.

The last time I went to Yoko Sizzlers was almost 10 years ago, when I was in Bombay, if I remember correctly. I remember the food being pretty good, but I can't remember what I had exactly. Well, I know it's a long shot, but I was hoping to remember because I wanted to be able to compare my experiences and provide you details of any variation in quality. Perhaps I should stick to trying to remember delightful culinary times-gone-by from last week, first. Or maybe, the last time I ate there was only somewhat memorable. Whatever the case, I'm glad I visited this "too hot to handle" place last night. Oh, that's their tag line, by the way.

I ordered the 'Pepper Steak with Mushroom', and Daya got the 'Steak with Chicken and Cheese'. To not be totally carnivorous, we ordered the Russian Salad. Frankly, I was a little disappointed with this dish because they served the vegetable components separately; the boiled peas, boiled, diced potato and pineapple chunks were mixed together in a thick mayonnaise sauce and served on a bed of shredded lettuce, while the carrots and beetroots were finely grated and arranged as a sort of border to this creamy mixture. A kind of do-it-yourself version of this salad that included raw and cooked ingredients, and I didn't enjoy it very much. But, back to the steaks for a second.

I seem to be able to vividly remember each bite from last night. Part of this vivid recollection is the fact that when the meal arrived, the chef seems to have been a little too generous with the sauce. What this meant, to paint a picture for you, was that after the skillet and its contents were done 'sizzling', everything in the immediate vicinity was splattered with sauce: the salt and pepper shakers, the glasses holding our chilled-but-now-laced-with-pepper-sauce beverages, and the unsuspecting Daya. Me? I bravely hid behind my little bib-like shield, which the waiter had so graciously helped me arm myself with. But this was not the real challenge. No, the challenge revealed itself to me when the smoke had cleared. There in front of me lay a juicy steak, surrounded on all sides by "exotic vegetables". Mmmmm... It was the biggest steak I had come across in a long time, and it took me some effort and a great deal of concentration to do justice to this delicious offering. Got to stop thinking about it so much. Images of a succulent beef steak have been burned into the backs of my eyelids, so that every time I close my eyes, I slip away into a land of steak and pepper sauce.

Definitely a place you should check out, if you haven't already. You may have to go there armed with Windex if you wear glasses, but it's well worth the experience. Location? Opposite City Center mall, on the ground floor of the Axis Bank building.

If anyone knows any other places for steaks and stuff here in Hyderabad, please do let me know by posting a comment. Otherwise, please let me know if you visit, and what you think.

Post a Comment