Label Cloud

#1000 a new destiny A Training We Will Go About Me about.me Africa Alaska AmitD Baby John Foundation bandicoot Bare Minimum beach Beginner-Chef Bengaluru bike bitter gourd bitter melon bitter squash blizzardofoz blog blossom BunnyB Cats Central America Chathurthi Chennai Civilization composting connections Content Writer content writing cookery cover shot culture curry leaf Daya Death dj dogs dreamy-dreams Dubai eco-friendly ecology Eichhornia crassipes email forward English? environs Eudaimonia Europe Chicago existence extinction Facebook Fiction flora flower food foto-RK freswater fruit fruit tree Funny Business? future-simple Ganesha garden garden gardening gardening gargantuan Google+ grammatically correct guilt health holidays/festivals hopelessly romantic human condition Hyderabad identity idol India Indonesian insect int-Ro-spec-shun interesting? Internet Service Italian ival Jagannath Temple Gate JamminGlobal Jay Kannaiyan John Paul Aguiar Kanyakumari karavella karela Kenya Kerala Kodaikanal Kovalam laddu Lake Nakuru lakes large Lesser bandicoot rat Life life story lily longevity macabre Mahabalipuram Mahe Masai Mara Mentor message Mexico milestone Miscellanea mission mogs Momordica charantia Mountain Lodge movie movie reference mushroom music mutation Nairobi NaNoWriMo National Novel Writing Month nature news-related O1M online online presence Ooty Oroku Saki our world Oxyopes bimanous party pest photography Phuentsholing pink Place of worship Poetry point-and-shoot pomegranate Practice Write profile profile pic Purpose railway station Rain Lily recipe recycling relationships religion/faith RK rodent sapling search engine optimization SEO short story sign social media South America spider Sri Vilas sump Sun-Mar teaching Thalassery The Dark Side The End The Muskoka Foundation Thirupathi Thiruvananthapuram Tirupati Balaji touristy travel Tribute Trivandrum Airport Incident twisted past Twitter vegetable Vinayaka Visarjan Visual Tonality Photography waste water hyacinth water purification water treatment web content World Writing yellow Zodiac

Friday, December 26, 2008

An idle mind...



This picture allows me to describe how things appear in my head sometimes, without using words. Unfortunately for those of you reading this, being a blog and therefore of a necessarily written nature, I'm forced to use a written form of expression that I happen to find unnecessarily limited.

The truth is that I've often heard the adage, "An idle mind is the Devil's playground," but sadly, I've paid it little heed. And while I may not necessarily believe in the 'Prince of Darkness' I do understand that there is a certain ominous truth to the whole thing. When you're not doing anything, or when you find that you're doing nothing at all, should you care to say it this way, your mind immediately goes to places that are often better left unexplored. Now, contrary to all the times that I've pointed to myself and said things like, "Or maybe that's just me," I've personally seen and heard the kinds of things that people have on their minds in times where life is a little lacking in activity, and some of that stuff is scary. Really scary!

What causes this sort of thing to happen though?

True to my nature, I've often used "idle" moments to try and figure out what has led to this idleness. This proves to be interesting because then I find myself confounded by whether or not I arrived at this idle state as a result of having nothing to do, or if I cleared my schedule of things to do so that I could savor an idle moment. Hmm... I'll leave that to the philosophers. Or the experts, neither of which I'm worthy of being at this time.

All I know is, there are times when I look forward to the idleness, and there are times when I don't because I have "productivity" on the mind. Unfortunately for me, I find myself longing to be idle when there's tons of stuff to get done, and when I'm finally free, well, that's when I wish I had something to do. Sound familiar?

Coming back to the 'deep, dark recesses of the mind' idea, briefly, the kinds of thoughts that enter my mind when I'm in idle-mind-screensaver mode are just insane. They span everything from committing the most horrendous crimes, to saving the world. Well, there are times when I've found myself thinking about a combination of both; a strange sort of middle path that involves saving the world by ridding it of every, last one of us. I hope this wasn't too intense an example, but it does help me make my point. Or maybe this is what I should have written more about; my heinous plans to rid this planet of its worthless humanity.

This picture is a good description of my mind, specifically when it's doing nothing. And it looks like I was able to convey a couple of my thoughts, in spite of the words getting in the way. Maybe I should just meditate, and embrace what comes to me, whatever it is that reveals itself to me, so that I may make peace with it. Let me save that one for New Year's.
Post a Comment