Label Cloud

#1000 a new destiny A Training We Will Go About Me about.me Africa Alaska AmitD Baby John Foundation bandicoot Bare Minimum beach Beginner-Chef Bengaluru bike bitter gourd bitter melon bitter squash blizzardofoz blog blossom BunnyB Cats Central America Chathurthi Chennai Civilization composting connections Content Writer content writing cookery cover shot culture curry leaf Daya Death dj dogs dreamy-dreams Dubai eco-friendly ecology Eichhornia crassipes email forward English? environs Eudaimonia Europe Chicago existence extinction Facebook Fiction flora flower food foto-RK freswater fruit fruit tree Funny Business? future-simple Ganesha garden garden gardening gardening gargantuan Google+ grammatically correct guilt health holidays/festivals hopelessly romantic human condition Hyderabad identity idol India Indonesian insect int-Ro-spec-shun interesting? Internet Service Italian ival Jagannath Temple Gate JamminGlobal Jay Kannaiyan John Paul Aguiar Kanyakumari karavella karela Kenya Kerala Kodaikanal Kovalam laddu Lake Nakuru lakes large Lesser bandicoot rat Life life story lily longevity macabre Mahabalipuram Mahe Masai Mara Mentor message Mexico milestone Miscellanea mission mogs Momordica charantia Mountain Lodge movie movie reference mushroom music mutation Nairobi NaNoWriMo National Novel Writing Month nature news-related O1M online online presence Ooty Oroku Saki our world Oxyopes bimanous party pest photography Phuentsholing pink Place of worship Poetry point-and-shoot pomegranate Practice Write profile profile pic Purpose railway station Rain Lily recipe recycling relationships religion/faith RK rodent sapling search engine optimization SEO short story sign social media South America spider Sri Vilas sump Sun-Mar teaching Thalassery The Dark Side The End The Muskoka Foundation Thirupathi Thiruvananthapuram Tirupati Balaji touristy travel Tribute Trivandrum Airport Incident twisted past Twitter vegetable Vinayaka Visarjan Visual Tonality Photography waste water hyacinth water purification water treatment web content World Writing yellow Zodiac

Saturday, December 27, 2008

"...was designed to be a perfect human world."

I was flipping through the channels on TV, trying to find something that would sustain my interest for longer than 10 seconds, when I came across The Matrix on one of the movie channels. This is a movie that although I had to watch at least three times to understand, I haven't been able to replace on my list of "Five movies that boggle the mind." Well, I don't have such a list, and this is perhaps a positive aspect of boggling the mind that I refer to; an attempt to move me out of my passive, I-love-to-see-men-beat-or-blow-themselves-up-and-appear-to-follow-supposedly-well-thought-out-plots-and character-development-plans manner of watching movies. Some of the ideas, one or two of which I will get into in a little bit, I will discuss. The others, well, you must watch to see and fathom for yourselves. But first, here's the DVD cover.The Matrix, a classic in its own right For the unintiated, this movie help set the bar for action as far as Hollywood was concerned. This along with the bleak, neo/haute-Gothic appearance of sets as well as the costumes gave the movie a surreally real feel. If I were to describe this as a thought, I would think something like, "I can imagine the world looking like this in the next 10 years." But, this is only part of the cause, a rather negligible part of why I like this movie so much.

For me, the part about taking "the red pill" to "see how deep the rabbit hole goes" was a metaphor for discovering the truth. "The Truth" as most people define it, is something that we've all been seeking and will probably continue to seek until every last one of us disappears from this planet. But, to see it presented so plainly and simply in this movie was a refreshing break, to say the least. I mean, so much for giving ourselves superstar status in the hierarchy of living things. What if the truth behind the illusion of "life" was a ver paractical and realistic matter, not worthy of swamis, mystics and gurus? What if the truth was as far away as a change in perspective? A change in consciousness? Brrrr... Sorry, sending shivers down my spine, that is.

Moving on to the meaty bit, the heart of the matter, the piece de resistance, brings me to an idea that I find getting nearer and dearer to my heart with each passing day. From earlier posts about nature, if you have read any of them at all, or if you happen to be one of those unfortunate souls who I've badgered with my "This is the way the world should be" rant, you'll know that I'm trying to piece together a place for the six, or is it now seven billion human beings who inhabit this planet. And there's this one scene in the movie that has, what seems to me, to be a very important message in this regard. For those of you who are thinking that I've lost my mind and feel in danger of having some harm befalling you, I encourage you to stop reading. For the rest of you, the scene I refer to is when Morpheus ends up fighting Agent Smith, leading to his capture and subsequent interrogation.Morpheus fights Agent Smith...in the bathroom?Well ok, this is the fight scene, but it's pretty cool in spite of the fact that this picture may make it appear a little strange. What happens next is Agent Smith begins to "go to work on" Morpheus's mind, trying to convince him of the futility of holding out against them. I happen to think they're beautiful, but just in case I could be wrong, here they are for you to judge for yourself. Oh, and I've thrown in a picture of a rather intimate moment between both these characters. He he he.Agent Smith and Morpheus kootchie-koo?Agent Smith to Morpheus, the first part:

Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at it's beauty, it's genius? Billions of people just living out their lives, oblivious. Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world. Where none suffered. Where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed that we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that as a species, human beings define their reality through misery and suffering. The perfect world would dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this, the peak of your civilization. I say your civilization because as soon as we started thinking for you it really became our civilization which is of course what this is all about. Evolution, Morpheus, evolution, like the dinosaur. Look out that window. You had your time. The future is our world, Morpheus. The future is our time.

That's killer stuff, eh? I mean, think about the implications of the "defining [our] reality through misery and suffering." How true is that! "Simply brilliant!" I say. "Come on, out with the rest of it!" cry the crazed masses.

The second part of Agent Smith's mind-job:

I'd like to share a revelation during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague, and we are the cure.

And folks, I don't know about you, but I just love the "virus" analogy. It's so startlingly, frighteningly, appropriately true that I can't help but think why no one has ever put it together like this before. This is why I love this movie, and the message, albeit it well enveloped in the guise of an action-thriller with superior special effects. It's a brilliantly hard-hitting revelation that we would do well to live by, first by understanding it, then by realizing how it applies to us and our survival, and finally, by living in a manner that's beneficial for 'life' in general. Let's be the first "conscious" virus around.

From death-defying action sequences, to phenomenal graphics and Zen-like undertones, The Matrix has it all. Check out this fan site that has info about all the parts of the movie, as well as the original movie site with all its cool effects. And then, when all is said and done, think about what you've read here and what it means to you, and let me know what you think. Alternately, I'd love to know if you've had any movie experiences that are like this. But let me remind you all to be afraid...be very...very...afraid!

Alright, I don't know why I said that. Hope you liked this movie. And if you haven't seen it, well, what are you waiting for?!?!?!?

Post a Comment