Label Cloud

#1000 a new destiny A Training We Will Go About Me about.me Africa Alaska AmitD Baby John Foundation bandicoot Bare Minimum beach Beginner-Chef Bengaluru bike bitter gourd bitter melon bitter squash blizzardofoz blog blossom BunnyB Cats Central America Chathurthi Chennai Civilization composting connections Content Writer content writing cookery cover shot culture curry leaf Daya Death dj dogs dreamy-dreams Dubai eco-friendly ecology Eichhornia crassipes email forward English? environs Eudaimonia Europe Chicago existence extinction Facebook Fiction flora flower food foto-RK freswater fruit fruit tree Funny Business? future-simple Ganesha garden garden gardening gardening gargantuan Google+ grammatically correct guilt health holidays/festivals hopelessly romantic human condition Hyderabad identity idol India Indonesian insect int-Ro-spec-shun interesting? Internet Service Italian ival Jagannath Temple Gate JamminGlobal Jay Kannaiyan John Paul Aguiar Kanyakumari karavella karela Kenya Kerala Kodaikanal Kovalam laddu Lake Nakuru lakes large Lesser bandicoot rat Life life story lily longevity macabre Mahabalipuram Mahe Masai Mara Mentor message Mexico milestone Miscellanea mission mogs Momordica charantia Mountain Lodge movie movie reference mushroom music mutation Nairobi NaNoWriMo National Novel Writing Month nature news-related O1M online online presence Ooty Oroku Saki our world Oxyopes bimanous party pest photography Phuentsholing pink Place of worship Poetry point-and-shoot pomegranate Practice Write profile profile pic Purpose railway station Rain Lily recipe recycling relationships religion/faith RK rodent sapling search engine optimization SEO short story sign social media South America spider Sri Vilas sump Sun-Mar teaching Thalassery The Dark Side The End The Muskoka Foundation Thirupathi Thiruvananthapuram Tirupati Balaji touristy travel Tribute Trivandrum Airport Incident twisted past Twitter vegetable Vinayaka Visarjan Visual Tonality Photography waste water hyacinth water purification water treatment web content World Writing yellow Zodiac

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Feel Good Music...oh the relief!

Ever since I discovered that I could use Youtube to watch videos of songs that I used to love and haven't been able to see in a while, I've been hooked. I've been trying to watch, or in some cases just listen to music that I've loved for a long while. Now, I don't want to seem to indicate that the songs I'm referring to, especially in this post, are in any way my favorite. I don't know if I have a true favorite anything, really. No, these are just songs that I think have excellent tempos and have, in the last couple of days since I rediscovered them, given me some pep in my otherwise dreary step. ;-)

The first song is one I remember watching on TV when I was like six or seven years old. I remember liking the tempo, rhythm, beat and video. You Call Me Al, by Paul Simon, has so many things about it that you can't help but love. Alright, maybe it's just me, but I love the bass line, the flute or piccolo solo, the beat, and the overall African rhythm and feel of the song. I have to say this, but it's been my experience that people from Africa have a far better sense of beat and a general sense of music. Man can they move! And that's what this song makes me want to do. I just want to get out of my seat and start prancing around the room. Check out the video! It's quite hilarious, especially the part where both Chevy Chase and Paul Simon begin to sing, and Paul Simon looks at Chevy Chase like he's hogging the spotlight.

The next song that I have had the good fortune of being reunited with is slightly more up-tempo and features another musical genius. Wear My Hat, by Phil Collins is another one of those feel good songs that really perk me up. Much like You Can Call Me Al, I love the beat, the bass line, and the overall feel of the song. This time though, it's more Latin American in feel and it's brilliant, if I must say so myself. I like the backing vocals too, although they're nothing spectacular if you were to look at them objectively. It's just that when all of these things come together, they make one helluva song. Here's a link to the video, so please check it out. This too is a laugh riot of a video with the visualization of inner thoughts and the unforgettable cameo by Danny Devito! Classic!

Another aspect that both these songs share, is the phrasing. These artists seem to have perfected the art of off-beat phrasing of lyrics. For example, in Wear My Hat, I love the way that the line "I said 'Listen pal do I know you? Have we ever met? Why do you want my name on this little piece of paper?'" is sung. Brilliant, I say! Also, the lyrics of both these songs are good and have a message that isn't spoiled by the unnecessary urge to end each line with a rhyme. It's almost like they were singing a piece of text, or some entry from their personal diaries. Well, isn't that what a lot of songs are? ;-)

Please check these songs out and let me know what think. In fact, it'd be interesting to see if I can get some criticism about why these songs are not good. You know, someone out there probably feels strongly about this sort of thing and would like to provide this post with the standard amount of cosmic balance.

He he he. Whatever. I'm just loving these songs, and I must have listened to them 50 times already this morning! YEAH!

"You can wear my hat. You can wear my hat. You can wear my hat. Come on wear my hat!"

:-D
Post a Comment