Label Cloud

#1000 a new destiny A Training We Will Go About Me about.me Africa Alaska AmitD Baby John Foundation bandicoot Bare Minimum beach Beginner-Chef Bengaluru bike bitter gourd bitter melon bitter squash blizzardofoz blog blossom BunnyB Cats Central America Chathurthi Chennai Civilization composting connections Content Writer content writing cookery cover shot culture curry leaf Daya Death dj dogs dreamy-dreams Dubai eco-friendly ecology Eichhornia crassipes email forward English? environs Eudaimonia Europe Chicago existence extinction Facebook Fiction flora flower food foto-RK freswater fruit fruit tree Funny Business? future-simple Ganesha garden garden gardening gardening gargantuan Google+ grammatically correct guilt health holidays/festivals hopelessly romantic human condition Hyderabad identity idol India Indonesian insect int-Ro-spec-shun interesting? Internet Service Italian ival Jagannath Temple Gate JamminGlobal Jay Kannaiyan John Paul Aguiar Kanyakumari karavella karela Kenya Kerala Kodaikanal Kovalam laddu Lake Nakuru lakes large Lesser bandicoot rat Life life story lily longevity macabre Mahabalipuram Mahe Masai Mara Mentor message Mexico milestone Miscellanea mission mogs Momordica charantia Mountain Lodge movie movie reference mushroom music mutation Nairobi NaNoWriMo National Novel Writing Month nature news-related O1M online online presence Ooty our world Oxyopes bimanous party pest photography Phuentsholing pink Place of worship Poetry point-and-shoot pomegranate Practice Write profile profile pic Purpose railway station Rain Lily recipe recycling relationships religion/faith RK rodent sapling search engine optimization SEO short story sign social media South America spider Sri Vilas sump Sun-Mar teaching Thalassery The Dark Side The End The Muskoka Foundation Thirupathi Thiruvananthapuram Tirupati Balaji touristy travel Tribute Trivandrum Airport Incident twisted past Twitter vegetable Vinayaka Visarjan Visual Tonality Photography waste water hyacinth water purification water treatment web content World Writing yellow Zodiac

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Blog History: A Question That Spawned A Blog

Back in 2005, when a couple of friends started "blogging", I was mildly curious. Then, after repeated requests to join, I gave it the old oh-what-the-hell and joined Blogger. During the registration process, it struck me that I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to publish on the Internet. There were friends who did dream recollection, and there were others posting about their lives in a most vivid fashion with as many pictures as possible. What was I going to say or do? What was I going to call my blog? Then, I remembered a friend in college who had once told me about an abbreviation, almost acronym, that he had coined when he professed his love to his girlfriend. Turns out he started a company, or an agency with that same name; URIYB (pronounced yu-REEB), which stands for You Are Why I Be. That's when I hit upon a semi-ingenious idea and thought of calling my blog YRV-WHOVR. Here's what the blog title looked like until yesterday.

Old Blog Title


Then, somewhere in the middle of last year, or the year before that, I figured out some HTML shortcut that would make the question -- because the title of the blog is a question -- show up on the top of the browser screen, like how it was supposed to be said; Why Are We Who We Are? Wait, that was before Blogger came up with the easy formatting interface. Since then, I've always meant to set things right and not confuse people with some cryptic blog title that would scare them off. Finally, and it is a very meagre effort, I finally got around to making this happen, and here is the result.

New Blog Title


Rest assured, however, that I am still trying to come up with something that's a little more unique and "me" as a title image for the blog. But it's the question of who we are, really, that makes me put stuff up on this blog. Sure, there have been some severe lulls in activity followed by some maddening phases of blogging, and vice versa, but that, unfortunately, is a free-time-related issue. If I don't have the time, I ain't blogging. Yet, I still seek to answer this question almost each and every day. Why am I who I am? Who am I? What am I? What makes me say this is who I am? What makes you say that?...

I'm hoping to change a couple of things about this blog, and any suggestions are welcome. Also, I now realize that my earlier rant about how all things Internet have permeated our lives to such an extent that we're living in public each and every moment of every day seems to be the way things are going. In any case, this seems to be the way in which I'm taking them in my life. If I was concerned about that I shouldn't have started this blog in the first place, eh?

Here's hoping that when people see a question in a language that they recognize as a valid language -- whether they understand it or not -- they'll stick around for a little longer and leave their thoughts. There's always hope, isn't there?

:-)

Post a Comment