Label Cloud

#1000 a new destiny A Training We Will Go About Me about.me Africa Alaska AmitD Baby John Foundation bandicoot Bare Minimum beach Beginner-Chef Bengaluru bike bitter gourd bitter melon bitter squash blizzardofoz blog blossom BunnyB Cats Central America Chathurthi Chennai Civilization composting connections Content Writer content writing cookery cover shot culture curry leaf Daya Death dj dogs dreamy-dreams Dubai eco-friendly ecology Eichhornia crassipes email forward English? environs Eudaimonia Europe Chicago existence extinction Facebook Fiction flora flower food foto-RK freswater fruit fruit tree Funny Business? future-simple Ganesha garden garden gardening gardening gargantuan Google+ grammatically correct guilt health holidays/festivals hopelessly romantic human condition Hyderabad identity idol India Indonesian insect int-Ro-spec-shun interesting? Internet Service Italian ival Jagannath Temple Gate JamminGlobal Jay Kannaiyan John Paul Aguiar Kanyakumari karavella karela Kenya Kerala Kodaikanal Kovalam laddu Lake Nakuru lakes large Lesser bandicoot rat Life life story lily longevity macabre Mahabalipuram Mahe Masai Mara Mentor message Mexico milestone Miscellanea mission mogs Momordica charantia Mountain Lodge movie movie reference mushroom music mutation Nairobi NaNoWriMo National Novel Writing Month nature news-related O1M online online presence Ooty our world Oxyopes bimanous party pest photography Phuentsholing pink Place of worship Poetry point-and-shoot pomegranate Practice Write profile profile pic Purpose railway station Rain Lily recipe recycling relationships religion/faith RK rodent sapling search engine optimization SEO short story sign social media South America spider Sri Vilas sump Sun-Mar teaching Thalassery The Dark Side The End The Muskoka Foundation Thirupathi Thiruvananthapuram Tirupati Balaji touristy travel Tribute Trivandrum Airport Incident twisted past Twitter vegetable Vinayaka Visarjan Visual Tonality Photography waste water hyacinth water purification water treatment web content World Writing yellow Zodiac

Monday, August 02, 2010

2 White Lilies



On a field. Life's astral plain.
On a field, Battle cries rang out again.

I saw his face. In flashes of light.
Blood. Sweat. Dirt. The human plight.

Looking around. Thick, foreboding haze.
Looking around. Hollow, frightened gaze.

Through the smoke. He saw me too.
And then he hit me, before he knew.

Falling down. Crying in piteous vain.
Falling down. Shouting out in horrible pain.

He rushed at me. Bayonet in my heart.
Twisted. Cold. Steel. Playing its part.

On my knees. He took careful aim
On my knees. But then he looked, again.

It was my neighbor. My good friend.
We'd grown up. Together. Until this end.

He paused a moment. A tiny seed of doubt.
He paused a moment. This couldn't be how it turned out.

I smiled, in pain. It hurt to remember.
And to breathe. To live. Pierced heart, so tender.

BANG! The moment came too soon.
BANG! In a field. At noon.

Two satin white lilies. Beautiful, holy death.
I saw there before me, with my dying breath.

But, he came closer. His job well done.
He came closer. Blocking out my Sun.

And then, he did. A most curious thing.
He whispered, gently, Amidst the unholy din.

My friend, forgive me. I didn't want it this way.
My friend, forgive me. But freedom is the price we pay.

Then, he saw the flowers. And he smiled a knowing smile.
Such a fitting gift for an old friend, he said Was in our midst all the while.

He tossed a lily to the ground. And held the other to his heart.
He tossed the lily near my body. And then spoke his part.

For your time has come, dear friend. A lily, for you.
And, friend, one for me. For my time will surely come too.

----------------------------
This picture was taken right outside the front door of where I'm staying at the moment. The landlord has a lovely little strip of garden right next to the boundary wall, and a sight like this first thing in the morning is always welcome. I tried to capture the beauty of the flowers as juxtaposed to and contrasted by the deep, burgundy-red tiles of the paved front yard that begins immediately after.


Post a Comment