Label Cloud

#1000 a new destiny A Training We Will Go About Me about.me Africa Alaska AmitD Baby John Foundation bandicoot Bare Minimum beach Beginner-Chef Bengaluru bike bitter gourd bitter melon bitter squash blizzardofoz blog blossom BunnyB Cats Central America Chathurthi Chennai Civilization composting connections Content Writer content writing cookery cover shot culture curry leaf Daya Death dj dogs dreamy-dreams Dubai eco-friendly ecology Eichhornia crassipes email forward English? environs Eudaimonia Europe Chicago existence extinction Facebook Fiction flora flower food foto-RK freswater fruit fruit tree Funny Business? future-simple Ganesha garden garden gardening gardening gargantuan Google+ grammatically correct guilt health holidays/festivals hopelessly romantic human condition Hyderabad identity idol India Indonesian insect int-Ro-spec-shun interesting? Internet Service Italian ival Jagannath Temple Gate JamminGlobal Jay Kannaiyan John Paul Aguiar Kanyakumari karavella karela Kenya Kerala Kodaikanal Kovalam laddu Lake Nakuru lakes large Lesser bandicoot rat Life life story lily longevity macabre Mahabalipuram Mahe Masai Mara Mentor message Mexico milestone Miscellanea mission mogs Momordica charantia Mountain Lodge movie movie reference mushroom music mutation Nairobi NaNoWriMo National Novel Writing Month nature news-related O1M online online presence Ooty our world Oxyopes bimanous party pest photography Phuentsholing pink Place of worship Poetry point-and-shoot pomegranate Practice Write profile profile pic Purpose railway station Rain Lily recipe recycling relationships religion/faith RK rodent sapling search engine optimization SEO short story sign social media South America spider Sri Vilas sump Sun-Mar teaching Thalassery The Dark Side The End The Muskoka Foundation Thirupathi Thiruvananthapuram Tirupati Balaji touristy travel Tribute Trivandrum Airport Incident twisted past Twitter vegetable Vinayaka Visarjan Visual Tonality Photography waste water hyacinth water purification water treatment web content World Writing yellow Zodiac

Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Putting the "Spiders in the Sump" in Perspective

I realized that all the pictures of insects that I take don't really tell the real story of how much work the camera, in all fairness, puts into making the most of the situations that I present it with, capturing some stunning shots of insects and other creepy-crawlies in action. For a now "outdated" Sony Cyber-shot  DSC-W35 with its 7.2 MP capabilities, I have always begged to differ about the relatively outstanding quality that it has provided me. Of course, I am no more than a beginner-slash-amateur photographer, but I believe that something like this, as "outdated" as it may technically be, is a perfect place to attempt to develop some skill, in-between all the cool auto-focusing that the camera does, of course.



Here is me trying to point at the first spider in the corner, the right-hand corner, I believe it was, from my previous post. As you can see from the out-of-focus finger stub (never realized that my fingers looked like this until now, by the way), the spider is tiny, to say the least. Now, the tip of my finger is about an inch-and-a-half away from the spider, being careful not to touch or break any delicate silk threads, or otherwise generally annoy the spider. On that note, I know it appears as if the spider is on its way to my intruding finger, either to greet it in a friendly manner or with a stinging bite, but she was already like this when I found her, and no matter how close my finger eventually got to her, she didn't move a muscle.



I cropped this slightly, still trying to keep my now obviously stubby finger in the shot, but also attempting to get closer to the shot. I have to admit though, that having a pair of somewhat unsteady hands means that the quality of the shot drops sharply when I end up taking single-handed shots free-handed, without being able to rest it anywhere. Luckily, I didn't have to lie on my stomach or adopt some other photo-yogic pose to get this shot, but kneeling and holding the camera kind of below me, with one hand, and not trying to drop it so that I'd have to fish it out of twelve to fifteen thousand liters of water either, did present it's own set of challenges.

This post wasn't meant to be an ad for the camera that I am currently using, actually "borrowing", to put it accurately. I just wanted my readers to get a better understanding of how this whole "macro" concept even prior to switching to a DSLR with that sort of lens apparatus, is possible if you allow your point-and-shoot to do its thing. Just make sure you get a feel for the absolute minimum distance you can push it before the auto-focus had trouble finding the subject. And, don't be afraid to use the flash in the day time, or when there's more than enough light out because you will be surprised with the effect you get sometimes.

I guess I'm an "image clarity" hound, so the hope is to, in my own, pastime, amateurish way, to be able to progress down a line of equipment that will help me capture the fineness of these amazing natural bodies, these busybodies of our natural world, and all their amazing little adaptations to fit, exist and seamlessly be a part of their surroundings. I live for the detail!
Post a Comment